Tuesday, December 29, 2015

ROUTES & BRANCHES  
a home for the americana diaspora
December 26, 2015
Scott Foley

For this Episode, I played some of my favorite americana, alt.country and roots music songs from 2015.  It's actually a complimentary show to my favorite albums list from two weeks ago, since some of the songs on that playlist would definitely qualify as favorites.  After flailing weakly against the idea, I've decided to attempt the following:


FAVORITE SONGS of 2015

1. Tallest Man On Earth, "Sagres"  ^
2. Nathaniel Rateliff & Night Sweats, "S.O.B"
3. Kasey Chambers w/Bernard Fanning, "Bittersweet"
4. Chris Stapleton, "Daddy Doesn't Pray Anymore"
5. Kristin Diable, "Time Will Wait"
6. Jason Isbell, "The Life You Chose"
7. Yawpers, "Faith and Good Judgment"
8. Joe Pug, "If Still It Can't Be Found"
9. John Moreland, "Sad Baptist Rain"
10. White Buffalo, "Come On Love, Come On In"
11. Jason Boland & the Stragglers, "Holy Relic Sale"
12. Turnpike Troubadours, "The Mercury"
13. Aaron Lee Tasjan, "Lucinda's Room"
14. Will Hoge, "Guitar Or a Gun"
15. Allison Moorer, "Like It Used To Be"
16. American Aquarium, "Southern Sadness"
17. Joey Kneiser, "To My Younger Self"
18. Bottle Rockets, "Monday (Everytime I Turn Around)"
19. Alone At 3am, "I'm Dying"
20. Charlie Parr, "Temperance River Blues"

Fact is, I have a beef with hardcore music types who can't or don't make year end lists.  I've done it since I was a preteen, listening to Casey Kasem (yes, I did) and filling a page with my own top 20 every week, replete with marginal illustrations.  I recall that Chicago's "Color My World", for instance, inexplicably held the top spot for several weeks in succession. No Peter Cetera on this playlist, but some songs that provided the soundtrack to my year.  Words can't communicate how much I'm looking forward to getting started on collecting stuff for next year. 

* Allison Moorer, "Like It Used To Be" Down To Believing  (E1, 15)
* Legendary Shack Shakers, "The One The Got Away" Southern Surreal  (Alt.Tentacles, 15)
* Dwight Yoakam, "Second Hand Heart" Second Hand Heart  (Reprise, 15)
* Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Bad On Fords" Ruffian's Misfortune  (Bordello, 15)
* Honeycutters, "Jukebox" Me Oh My  (Organic, 15)
* Joe Pug, "If Still It Can't Be Found" Windfall  (Lightning Rod, 15)
* Have Gun Will Travel, "True Believers" Science From An Easy Chair  (This Is American Music, 15)
* Natalie Prass, "My Baby Don't Understand Me" Natalie Prass  (Spacebomb, 15)
* Wood Brothers, "Snake Eyes" Paradise  (Thirty Tigers, 15)
* HoneyHoney, "Bad People" 3  (Rounder, 15)
* Bottle Rockets, "Monday (Everytime I Turn Around)" South Broadway Athletic Club  (Bloodshot, 15)
* Alone At 3am, "I'm Dying" Show the Blood  (Sofaburn, 15)
* Giant Sand, "Hurtin' Habit" Heartbreak Pass  (New West, 15)
* White Buffalo, "Come On Love, Come On In" Love and the Death of Damnation  (Unison, 15)
* Barrence Whitfield & the Savages, "Incarceration Casserole" Under the Savage Sky  (Bloodshot, 15)
* Lonesome Wyatt & Rachel Brooke, "Miles and Miles" Bad Omen  (Tribulation, 15)
* Kristin Diable, "Time Will Wait" Create Your Own Mythology  (Speakeasy, 15)
* Corb Lund, "Weight Of the Gun" Things That Can't Be Undone  (New West, 15)
* Shinyribs, "Donut Taco Palace" Okra Candy  (Mustard Lid, 15)
* Iris DeMent, "Listening To Singing" Trackless Woods  (Flariella, 15)
* Rhett Miller, "Most In the Summertime" Traveler  (ATO, 15)
* Rod Picott, "I Was Not Worth Your Love" Fortune   (Welding Rod, 15)
* Anderson East, "Find Em Fool Em & Forget Em" Delilah  (Elektra, 15)
* Will Hoge, "Guitar Or a Gun" Small Town Dreams  (Cumberland, 15)
* Kasey Chambers, "Bittersweet" Bittersweet  (Sugar Hill, 15)
* Patty Griffin, "There Isn't One Way" Servant Of Love  (Thirty Tigers, 15)
* Wrinkle Neck Mules, "Whistlers & Sparklers" I Never Thought It Would Go This Far  (Lower 40, 15)
* Jason Boland & the Stragglers, "Holy Relic Sale" Squelch  (Thirty Tigers, 15)

No comments: